How to Use Mala Beads
- Choose a spot and sit comfortably with your spine straight and your eyes closed. If you are a beginner to meditation, you can sit with your back against a wall, in a chair, or even lie down. Just keep your spine straight. Take a few deep breaths to center and align yourself with your intention.
- If you have one, use a mantra for this practice. A mantra is a phrase, word, or sound you will repeat over and over, either aloud, softly, or in your mind.
- Hold your mala in your right hand, draped between your middle and index fingers. Starting at the guru bead, use your thumb to count each smaller bead, pulling it toward you as you recite your mantra. Do this 108 times, traveling around the mala, until you once again reach the guru bead. You can practice less than 108 when you first begin. Work up to it!
- If you want to continue the meditation, instead of passing over the guru bead, simply reverse direction and begin again.
Gemstones and Chakras
- Muladhara or Root Chakra – Red, black Stones
- base of the spine and represents your connection to your physical body and your relationship to the Earth and environment. Feelings associated with this chakra are stability, security, and basic human instincts (survival instincts).
- Svadhisthana or Sacral Chakra – red, Orange Stones
- located just below the bellybutton, so it naturally relates to reproduction & sexuality, as well as creativity and joy.
- Manipura or Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow, orange Stone
- help you strengthen your core and amplify the ability to love yourself for who you are. boost in confidence and self-esteem?
- Anahata or Heart Chakra – Green, pink Stone
- unites the upper and lower chakras and acts as a sort of bridge between the physical, spiritual and emotional.
- Vishuddha or Throat Chakra – Blue stones
- issues with how you communicate with others or how you receive information, and the way you talk to yourself,
- Ajna or Third Eye Chakra – Indigo Stone
- located in the center of the forehead and helps you dig deep into your intuition. If you have some repressed emotions you need to release, this is the chakra to focus on healing.
- Sahasrara or Crown Chakra – white,Purple Stone
- located at the crown of the head, because we’re all royalty really. This chakra connects us with the universe, our higher self, and the divine.